sparqs supports a professional network for staff with academic representation co-ordination roles in universities and colleges. Introduced in 2016-17 it builds on our previous, but narrower in scope, network for Course Rep Training co-ordinators.
Strong and effective academic representation is crucial to the student view on learning, and good professional staff support to representatives and representative structures is in turn essential to make this happen.
These roles generally lie within students' associations (though can often be institutional posts) and are responsible for course and lead rep systems, support to senior students' association education officers, liaison with institutional staff on student engagement in quality, and ensuring effective student representation on institutional committees and in other key quality processes such as reviews.
Activities of such posts can include recruitment, training and support of reps; research on key learning and teaching developments; supporting student engagement in committees, feedback and review processes; and providing a permanent point of contact for institutional staff and others.
As lynchpins to student engagement in quality, academic representation co-ordinators require substantial knowledge, skills, experience and support. The ARC network meetings, founded on the themes of "learn, share, develop", aims to help provide that through a series of three events per year.
The events engage participants in discussion around key sectoral developments, consultation on new initiatives within sparqs, and opportunities to share and reflect on personal and professional practice in supporting academic representation.
There is a Jismail group for the ARC network which is a forum for discussion of the events and their content as well as for exchange of related work. To join the mailing list please contact Simon Varwell..
Meetings of the network in 2017-18 will be as follows:
- Wednesday 29th November 2017 - hosted by City of Glasgow College. Registration for this event will be open in due course.
- Tuesday 20th February 2018 - hosted by Dundee University Students' Association. Registration for this event will be open closer to the time.
- May 2018 - date and location to be confirmed.
Details of our 2016-17 dates were as follows:
- Thursday 17th November 2016 - see the event page for further information and materials from the day.
- Tuesday 14th February 2017 - see the event page for further information and materials from the day.
- Thursday 4th May 2017 - see the event page for further information and materials from the day.
For more information, please contact Simon Varwell.