Student Learning Experience - sparqs
The Student Learning Experience is a tool that lies at the heart of many of sparqs’ resources.
It was created out of elements of the previous college review framework in Scotland operated by Her Majesty’s Inspectorate of Education (now Education Scotland), and sparqs identified a practical use in those headings for students to similarly reflect on their learning experience.
The specific terminology in the tool has changed a number of times over the years. Though the current terms are generally self-explanatory, more detail is included in the accompanying grid resource.
The Student Learning Experience is used in our course rep training to help course reps break down the often vague idea of the learning experience into practical, bitesize chunks. It means that reps can ask their fellow students specific, meaningful questions around each of the areas of the learning experience, allowing student input to be mapped across various headings to ensure it is broad-ranging.
The headings also allow course reps to filter out comments that don’t fit with the work of the course committee – for instance those around estates or student finance matters. Such issues, though valid topics for student comment, are not directly a matter for course teams and should be passed on to more relevant institutional teams or senior student officers.
It is possible to use the headings of the Student Learning Experience for other similar engagement purposes, such as agenda items for a course committee meeting, topics for focus groups and surveys, or a mapping tool for teaching staff to reflect on how much input they are getting from student representatives across the different areas of learning.
- Student Learning Experience - sparqs
- Online Student Learning Experience Model - Perth College UHI
- Theory of partnership: Ladder of Citizen Participation - Sherry R Arnstein
- Framework for the Development of Strong and Effective College Students
- Hearing the Student Voice Involving Students in Curriculum Design and Development - Various
- Student Representative Handbook - Robert Gordon University
- Grid for developing tools of feedback from students - sparqs
- Effective Participation in Meetings - Perth College UHI
- Class Rep Health Check Activity - Perth College UHI
- Understanding the SU's key relationships: The Cadogan Matrice