Our Introductory Course Rep Training is aimed at newly elected course reps who have not attended training before. It aims to develop confidence in their role, as being a course rep for the first time can be a daunting prospect.
Online Introductory CRT for 2020-21
As a result of the ongoing COVID-19 crisis, this year's introductory CRT for Scottish institutions has been developed in an online format, and is in two parts:
Introductory CRT - part one
The self-study module has been developed in Rise 360 and will be hosted on institutions' own learning platforms for reps to complete before attending part two. The module should take around 90 minutes to complete and is designed to help new course reps in these ways:
- To gain an understanding of the course rep role and the work involved.
- To identify skills and methodologies that will help them perform the course rep role effectively.
- To identify strategies for communication with students, in order to listen to the views of classmates about their learning experience.
- To learn techniques for good communication with staff, in order to enhance the quality of the learning experience for the whole class.
Introductory CRT - part two
This bookable part of the training will be delivered by sparqs' trainers via Zoom, to 10-20 delegates and lasts 90 minutes. It is designed to help reps in these ways:
- To refresh understanding of the course rep role and the work involved.
- To discuss the Student Learning Experience and explore how reps can use the Student Learning Experience model in their role as reps.
- To practice some of the skills that will help reps work effectively.
- To understand the support and resources that are available to reps.
Scottish institutions wishing to access the 2020-21 training materials, should get in contact with their sparqs' contact to discuss the process, to help ensure that a comprehensive package is delivered and evaluated.
We are also keen to hear from any institutions delivering their own training, who might be willing to share their evaluation data in order to contribute to the overall national picture of Course Rep Training. If you are interested in contributing your evaluation data, please get in touch.
Any non-Scotland institutions wishing to access the sparqs' training materials, please contact Eve Lewis, Director of sparqs, at email@example.com.
How to book your 'part two' training sessions
Before booking training, please read our new guidance on booking sparqs Course Rep Training, as the process for booking sessions, registration of reps, and delivery of the training itself, have all changed.
- The booking process is open as of Monday 17th August 2020.
- Training delivery will be available from week beginning Monday 14th September 2020.
- Sessions should have a minimum of 10 participants and a maximum of 20 participants.
- Each session lasts approximately 90 minutes and will be delivered via Zoom by two sparqs Associate Trainers.
- Institutions will have installed the part-one self-study module on their VLE and made it available to reps to complete in advance of attending a part-two session.
- Completed booking forms should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org at least 3 weeks in advance of requested training dates.
Our Course Rep Training is delivered by our team of Associate Trainers who have been newly trained in delivering this year's training in an online format.
If you have any questions about the Course Rep Training booking process, or how we can support you to deliver training within your institution, please get in touch with Nicola McIntosh, Business Manager, on 07785 626159 or email email@example.com.
Any questions about the content of the training should go to Justin Walker, Development Consultant, on 07880 192722 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.