This resource equips academic managers, quality teams, CPD managers, educational developers and students’ associations with a framework to develop materials for teaching and support staff on engaging students in shaping learning at a time of continuing change.
The toolkit was published in June 2021. We are grateful to staff at Advance HE, College Development Network, Dumfries and Galloway College, Edinburgh Napier University and the University of Dundee for their support in developing these materials.
Consisting of six topics, the toolkit aims to equip staff and students to:
- Think about the student role in self-evaluation and quality enhancement of the learning experience.
- Work in partnership to develop staff development materials that are appropriate to departmental, institutional and national contexts.
Each topic in the toolkit takes the form of a workshop template - a set of materials that should be customised to suit particular contexts within institutions. For each template, there is a presentation and accompanying notes. sparqs is very happy to meet with quality, student engagement and educational development leads to discuss the toolkit and its contents and help staff and students work together to adapt them appropriately for their needs.
The best way to start thinking about this toolkit is to read the user guidance first. This will help you gain an understanding of the toolkit's overall purpose and format, its six core workshop templates and how you might be able to use the content in your institution to develop partnership and engagement. You can also watch an introduction to the toolkit in this August 2021 video from College Development Network and Jisc's Virtual Bridge series.
- User guidance - please read this first!
- 1: Understanding the student learning experience: presentation and notes.
- 2: Co-creation of assessment methods: presentation and notes.
- 3: Discussing data and survey findings: presentation and notes.
- 4: Review of course innovations and adjustments: presentation and notes.
- 5: The role of the course representative: presentation and notes.
- 6: The role of the students’ association: presentation and notes.
Throughout your use of this toolkit, please contact Eve Lewis for any help in using this toolkit, to provide feedback, or to share case studies of your experiences.