sparqs offers a workshop for staff in institutions on "Student engagement in quality“, the materials for which were revised and updated in early 2016. The workshop is intended for staff who are involved in supporting the learning experience, such as teaching, support, quality and management roles.
The two-hour session explores and develops staff practice in engaging students in quality. It focuses on both the theory and practice of student engagement across Scotland and gives participants an opportunity to both share their effective practice and identify potential action points.
There are three main objectives of the workshop:
- Explore student engagement – sector agency thinking, academic literature.
- Examine how student engagement can work in practice.
- Identify actions that can be taken to further engage students.
It can be adapted to meet the particular needs or priorities of institutions, and can be available to groups of between 6 and 25 participants, whether from across the institution or working in section or department teams. The workshop can also be used as part of institutions' staff development weeks or in-service days.
We are happy to come out to your institution to deliver the workshop for you, or if you wish to deliver the workshop yourselves you can download the materials below. If you are delivering the workshop internally we would welcome feedback on the materials.
- Presentation - An introduction to student engagement
- Tutor Notes
- A Student Engagement Framework for Scotland
- Student Engagement Framework elements and activity cards for group exercise
- Arnstein Ladder of Participation
- Final task sheet
To talk through any of the above in more detail, or to request a session to be delivered by sparqs, please contact Lindsay Isaacs.